Pandan Leaves Benefits and Uses – Natural Health Tips. The health benefits and uses of Pandan Leaves also known as Screwpine, Rampe, or Ketaki.
Pandan Leaves Benefits and Uses
- 1. Pandan leaves are often used in cooking in South Asia and Southeast Asia and are also used as a natural medicine to treat some illnesses.
- 2. The leaves contain tannins, glycosides, and alkaloids which can be used to treat fevers, ear infections, headaches, arthritis, and hiccups.
- 3. You can also make a natural toothpaste by chopping the leaves very small and chewing them. The oxidization process will help to promote strong and healthy gums.
4. Pandan leaves have also been used as an antiseptic on open wounds, as they help to kill any bacteria present and prevent infection.
- 5. If you suffer from headaches, you can drink pandan leaf extract to relieve the pain, due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
6. This also works as a gentle laxative which will relieve constipation. This is gentle and can be given to children.
- 7. In order to make pandan leaf extract, you may simply get a handful of leaves, wash them thoroughly in cold water. Then slice the leaves thinly with a sharp blade and blend to release the juices. These juices can then be extracted using a cheesecloth or sieve and stored in an airtight container ready for drinking or adding to delicious foods or deserts.
- 8. Pandan has a nutty flavor and is, therefore, excellent to add to desserts such as cakes.
- 9. If you wish to grow pandan leaves, be sure to keep them in a sunny area with around 5 hours of sunlight per day. Pandan needs a warm climate to survive, as frost and extreme cold will kill the plant.
- 10. Skin conditions can also be treated with these leaves such as tinea versicolor. This is a fungus that discolors the skin. Drinking the extracted juice from the leaves will treat this. To learn more about healthy foods, check out the links to the right or subscribe.